Note before using
We hope this guide will be useful to you. But 2023 is a year of class changes. Currently use this guide as a start point for your level 140 journey.
Last update: April – U35
Class update status: Unknown, but before U37. Expected small changes
If you have any other questions or are looking for a place to chat, feel free to join our discord server!
Burglar - red
Red Burg has one of the smoothest DPS rotations amongst other LOTRO DPS classes, and it has a pattern which you can easily follow and keep up. Unlike other classes, there are no alternative skills for rotation, there is just 1 rotation and you can reliably use it from the beginning to the end, at least that is what I found.
Red Burg has a guaranteed spot in just about any instance/raid, as they provide a lot more to the group than just DPS. They bring a 2nd Reveal Weakness debuff, which the group can use for secondary targets, they bring a little bit of CC (crowd control), they have CJs (useful for some instances/raids), and they are self-sustainable (can take a few big hits without needing help from healer).
Other information sources available
Old guide, last updated for U33 – https://lotrohq.com/red-burglar/
These goals are kept with Essence & Gear planning in mind, as to which Essences are to be prioritized over others. These goals can also be used when picking Virtues.
Critical Rating > Physical Mastery > Tactical Mitigation > Vitality
After Critical Rating and Physical Mastery are capped or near capped, save some room for Class & Trigger essences, and then Tactical Mitigation essences can be used. At the beginning of expansion, Essence slots are really limited, this gets easier as better items become available later down the line.
Early raid build for U35 provided by Gwyns Discord –https://discord.gg/hAZcHspM35
Can remove some points in blue for Heartening Prank/Trick: Dust in the Eyes/Startling Twist in yellow for some good utility support For more single target dps trait Focused Strikes in red
Here are the Virtues which go along with the Stat Goals:
- Determination (Great for Mastery and Critical Rating)
- Valour (Great for Mastery, Finesse and Critical Rating)
- Confidence (Great for Critical Rating and Finesse)
- Wit (Great for Finesse, Mastery and Critical Rating)
- Loyalty (Great for Vitality and survival)
- If you need extra Survivability, swap Wit with Fidelity
If you don’t have these virtues, here are some alternatives:
- Fidelity (Great for Vitality + Tactical Mit)
- Tolerance (Gives great amount of Tactical Mit, decent Physical Mit and Resistance)
- Innocence (Gives great amount of Physical Mit, decent Tactical Mit Mit and Resistance)
Burglar legendary weapons. Priority upgrades viewable in video. Produced by Gwyn.
One all purpose weapon + class specifc tool
Rotations - outdated
* Note: This is a static rotation. If you can’t get a crit chain opening you may have to fill with a crap skill or two then fall back into the rotation. There’s not 1 great way to handle this, you just have to play the class a bit to get a feel for it.
Start in stealth and behind target always, and as a Burg, you should always strive to be behind targets as much as you can.
Open: Stealth -> Reveal Weakness -> Aim, GA (from behind) -> Start at rotation 1 below (skipping GA of course since it was just used). Do rotations 1-4 then repeat until end.
- FA -> Gambler’s Advantage -> Subtle Stab -> Provoke -> Flashing Blades -> Double-Edged Strike -> Addle -> Subtle Stab -> Cunning Attack
- FA -> GA -> Stab -> Enrage -> FB -> DES -> Stab -> Surprise Attack
- FA -> GA -> Stab -> Provoke -> FB -> DES -> Addle -> Stab -> CA
(identical to rotation 1)
- FA -> GA -> Stab -> Aim -> FB -> DES -> Stab -> Surprise Attack
There is a strong reason for opening with Aim+GA in red. It causes your Subsequent GA bleeds to have a higher value due to getting an increased base damage on first application. In any fight lasting longer than 60 seconds this bleed increase will provide more damage than saving 1st aim for FB/DES. In fights shorter than 60 seconds open with surprise strike from stealth and start at rotation 4.
This rotation requires you slot Trick Duration Tracery. With Tracery and no mistakes, you will have a 100% uptime on Enrage. On average you will hit Enrage every 30 seconds or so.
Information regarding consumables, why, which types, differences, etc.