Note before using
We hope this guide will be useful to you. But 2023 is a year of class changes. Currently use this guide as a start point for your level 140 journey.
Last update: June
Class update status: Small ones over time. 2023 update unknown
If you have any other questions or are looking for a place to chat, feel free to join our discord server!
Welcome, here you will find a good build for Lightning RK, built for high-burst damage.
Lightning RK got some nerfs, and it is very behind the top dogs of DPS (Champ, Hunter, Warden etc.). They have quite a lot of RNG as well when it comes to their DPS, thus not making it a very reliable choice for serious endgame content.
If Lightning RK is still being played, then they can provide DNFs to the group (which can be valuable), and they can provide decent (not great) ranged DPS if they play it right.
Other information sources available
Older guide, last updated for U33 – https://lotrohq.com/yellow-rune-keeper/
These stat goals are kept with Essence & Gear planning in mind, as to which Essences are to be prioritized over others. These goals can also be used when picking Virtues.
Critical Rating > Tactical Mastery > Finesse (30%+) > Vitality > Tactical Mitigation
After Critical Rating and Physical Mastery are capped or near capped. Then Finesse should be taken to ~30% so there’s no resists for T3+ content, and if there is still room available, then Vitality essences and Tactical Mitigation essences can be used.
Here are the Virtues which go along with the Stat Goals:
Runekeeper legendary weapons. Priority upgrades viewable in video. Produced by Ghyn.
Mix yellow and red runestone with a yellow satchel
Rotations - outdated
Here is what I do on Lightning RK:
But before I begin, I will clarify how Writ of Lightning works if there are multiple RKs in group.
- Tier 1 : Writs can override each other in this tier between RKs. First RK’s Writ T1 will be replaced with second RK’s Writ T1 and will not upgrade to T2!
- Tier 2-3: Writs do NOT override each other between RKs. Whoever has the Tier 2-3 writ on the mob has the full control, any other RK’s writ will do nothing (will not upgrade, will not refresh duration will do just nothing)
- CnR Writ: CnR Writ is the exception, overrides any writ regardless of tier.
- So, if there are multiple Lightning RKs in group, you need to assign 1 person for Writs as usual and first 3-4 seconds no other RK should use writ. As soon as Writ RK upgraded his writ to T2, others then can use writs freely.
DPS Rotation, assuming it’s a boss fight:
- Place down Flurry of Words on where boss is supposed to be moved/tanked at.
- Place down Lightning and Fire rock for attunement boost, so Concession & Rebuttal (CnR) skill can be used 1-2s before getting into combat.
- If you are the Writ RK, then use Writ now, to get a T3 Writ debuff on boss. If you are not, then don’t do this.
- Use Ceaseless Argument (CA) next and always keep it on cooldown, prioritize this skill the most, only exception is Static Surge (SS), use SS first even if CA is off cooldown.
- After CA is on cooldown, use Scribe’s Spark, then Essence of Storm, then Vivid Imagery and cut that animation with Final Words skill.
- After you have done that, refresh Writ (if you are the RK assigned for it), and watch for a buff called ‘Closing Remarks’. It can help a lot if you use a plugin to track this buff. I use BuffMonitor to track this buff and ‘Charged’ buff.
- If you have the Closing Remarks buff, use Epic Conclusion (EC) now, this is the only time you will use EC for the next 3 minutes till your CnR skill is back. Ideal time to use EC is when you have CnR up on yourself, you have Closing Remarks also, and there is an Oathbreakers on the boss. That’s the one time EC and its DoT will do the most damage. Never use EC without those things.
- Never use Shocking Words unless you want to stun a mob, because it removes all your attunement, meaning you will lose out on 9% critical chance and 27% damage until you bring your attunement back. Never use EC also as mentioned above, unless you have CnR/Closing Remarks buff and Oathbreakers on boss to compensate.
- This brings us to the last Lightning skill, called Sustaining Bolt. Use this skill only when you have the ‘Charged’ buff. Track this via a plugin, I use BuffMonitor. If you use this skill without the Charged buff, then you lose all attunement and it’s a DPS loss.
- To summarize, here’s how the rotation looks:
- Writ – CA – Scribe’s Spark – Essence of Storm – Vivid Imagery – Final Words
Static Surge (used whenever proc, drop every other skill in favor) – Sustaining Bolt (used whenever Charged buff proc) – Epic Conclusion (used with CnR/Closing Remarks and Oathbreakers).
- Track ‘Charged’ and ‘Closing Remarks’ via BuffMonitor plugin, it really makes life easy. Track Writ of Lightning debuff using Debuff Vitals plugin, which also makes life super easy. Both plugins are easy to setup and get working.
- When there is a rotation gap, use Flurry of Words. Also, you can use Steady Hands – Words of Exaltation on tanks/people taking heavy damage to give them a nice morale bubble.
- Refresh DNFs every 2m30s.
Information regarding consumables, why, which types, differences, etc.