Red Line DPS Burglar ‘Quiet Knife’ Build
Table of Contents
Welcome, here you will find a solid Red Burg build for Minas Morgul expansion, tuned for high Single Target DPS, with a nice AoE cleave. Update 25.4 and U26 bought a few nerfs to Burgs, namely to Reveal Weakness, Flashing Blades and Double-edged Strike, but Burgs are still pretty top-end when it comes to reliable burst and sustained overall DPS.
Red Burg has one of the smoothest DPS rotations amongst other LOTRO DPS classes, and it has a pattern which you can easily follow and keep up. Unlike other classes, there are no alternative skills for rotation, there is just 1 rotation and you can reliably use it from the beginning to the end, at least that is what I found. (Although, some of it will change, I will update here later when I test, as just recently Provoke was nerfed to have a longer cooldown, and that might affect the rotation a little bit.)
Red Burg has a guaranteed spot in just about any instance/raid, as they provide a lot more to the group than just DPS. They bring a 2nd Reveal Weakness debuff, which the group can use for secondary targets, they bring a little bit of CC (crowd control), they have CJs (pretty important in Remmorchant), and they are self-sustainable (can take a few big hits without needing help from healer).
*This applies to all levels, from 0 to 130.
Red Burglar’s primary role is DPS, their stat goals should be:
Physical Mastery > Critical Rating > Vitality > Finesse
(These stats are acquired from Essences, Virtues, LIs, etc.)
Self Buffed Stats should be:
|Finesse 30% (Put more for T4/T5, 40%)||270,000|
|Morale||~450,000 – 500,000+|
** While you are gearing up, remove all Essences from your current Gear, and then slot Essences as per the Stat goals. After you have met the Stat goals, then place the right Virtues (more down on that down below). This way you can plan your setup better, and utilize Essences perfectly, and can dump the remaining Essences in Vitality or other Stat of your choice after meeting Stat goals mentioned above.
Red Burglar did not get a nice set bonus from Remmorchant raid, so, the best way to build the Red Burg is to have the 2-set bonus for 5,000 Agility from all 3 Lines Sets. 2x Red Pieces, 2x Yellow Pieces and 2x Blue pieces, for a total of 15,000+ Agility bonus. This gives Red Burg lots of Stats to play with.
- 2x Keen Eye Set
- 2x Gifted Trickery Set
- 2x Deceptive Fortune Set
These 6 pieces (Greater) upgradeables are from the Remmorchant Barter in Estolad Lan. If you don’t have access to this set, you can easily use the previous (Old) dropped Raid Armour of Item Level 430, which is also barterable. Make sure to not mix the sets, new Set bonus doesn’t combine with the old one.
Alternatively, you can also use 2x Anvil Armour set for -10% Attack Duration. Use this if you have too much of Stats.
Use these till Critical Rating Cap of 630,000.
Use these till Physical Mastery is at 850,000.
These are filler essences, use these after you have Critical Rating capped, Physical Mastery capped and have put 2 Trigger essences.
Special Trigger Essences to use:
You need both of these as a must, you can place them wherever you like. I slot them on Necklace so I can share them between my Alts.
There are currently two way to trait a Red Burglar, one is the usual way and the other is to trait for Enrage while in Red. I don’t find traiting for Enrage very appealing, so I will focus on the usual way for now. Here is how I trait my Burg:
You get everything you need as Red Burg from this Tree (apart from Enrage, which most groups won’t ask you for).
You also need an extra Trait Tree to swap for All-In buff pre-fight, and for that you also will need a Swap Burg Bag LI which contains the All-In legacy. Use this buff around 3-5s before the Fight starts, ask the leader to do a countdown.
These are the virtues I use to reach the Stat Goals. You can play around with these to get the numbers you want, but I would not recommend using any Mits virtues (apart from Fidelity) as you don’t gain much from them. You can swap around, depending on the fight, can swap in more Morale ones in for example, Loyalty for Zeal, it just depends on the fight.
By using these Virtues, I reach my Stat Goals, while still maintaining a good Morale pool.
- Valour (Best DPS virtue for Physical classes)
- Determination (Best DPS virtue for Agility classes)
- Confidence (Best Critical Rating virtue for all classes)
- Loyalty (Great for Morale for all classes)
- Wit (Great for Finesse and Critical) (Usually my number 5 is placeholder, I swap this one a lot depending on the fight)
Red Burglar legacies are generally fine and don’t need a lot of weapon swapping, but I know some Burgs weapon swap for 2 skills (Surprise Strike and Coupe-de-grace), but again that’s optional and you don’t have to bother if you don’t want to, as it’s not a great requirement nor does it boost your DPS by much. Here is my LI setup:
A small note about my Bag, it’s purely for PvE only, and it can be used in either Red or Yellow Line, but it’s not for PvP, I use a different bag for there.
|Major||Burglar Bleed Damage|
|Major||Critical Response Skill Damage|
|Major||Cunning Attack Bleed Damage|
|Major||Feint Attack Damage|
|Minor||Subtle Stab Damage Multiplier|
|Minor||Critical Chain Skills Critical Multiplier|
|Minor||Subtle Stab Critical Damage|
Burglar’s Tools (Class Item)
|Major||Skills Critical Multiplier|
|Minor||Addle Tactical Damage Debuff|
|Minor||Reveal Weakness Incoming Damage Debuff|
|Minor||Surprise Strike Damage|
|Minor||Sneak Movement Speed||Optional, you can |
have Dust Debuff
instead if you can’t Bag Swap.
Swap Legendary Items
IMBUED Burglar Tools (Class Item)
|Major||Dust in the Eyes Miss Chance|
|Major||Gamble Chance and Cash Out Damage|
|Major||Mischievous Glee Healing|
|Minor||All In Melee Damage|
|Minor||Reveal Weakness Incoming Damage Debuff|
|Minor||Sneak Movement Speed|
Explanation: This is a utility swap Bag, it has plenty of swap legacies which are not found on the Main Class Item LI. Use this Bag for:
- Placing gambles pre-fight, or to increase daze chance from Provoke.
- Dust in the Eyes skill.
- Mischievous Glee skill if in Yellow.
- Swapping for All In skill from Blue if traited.
- Sneak skill if you don’t have this Speed legacy on Main bag.
- Rest of the legacies are place holders and are on bag to reduce chance of error on key skills if the bags are swapped wrongly.
There is an additional (although entirely optional) LI Swap for Burgs, a Non-imbued weapon. It needs the following 2 legacies:
- Riddle Range:
This will allow you to mez a target from 40m range.
- Specialization Skill Critical Buff Duration:
This is used as a swap for Feint Attack, making that buff last longer, but you lose out on FA damage, which is found on the Main LI. I haven’t found a good scenario to use this legacy yet, so I cannot fully recommend it.
Here is what I do on Red Burg:
- Start in stealth and behind target always, and as a Burg, you should always strive to be behind targets as much as you can.
- Open your rotation always with Cunning Attack [CA] (from stealth). This will open your Crit Chain (which allows you to use either Gambler’s Advantage [GA] or Double-edged Strike [DeS] )
- You never want to use DeS first, as that skill is an immediate and you want to save that to cut the animation of Flashing Blades [FB].
- So, after you have done CA from stealth, and you have Aim available, hit Improved Feint Attack [IFA].
- After IFA, hit Gambler’s Advantage, then Subtle Stab.
- After Subtle Stab, hit Aim and then FB and then DeS.
- So your rotation should go: Stealth – CA – IFA – GA – Subtle – Aim – FB – DeS
- After your DeS lands, use CA once more, and follow it up with Exposed Throat [ET].
- Sometimes during the rotation, your CA might be on cooldown, so if it is, alternate that with Suprise Strike [SS], and follow that up with ET.
- If you don’t have ET available, it’s fine. Next, try to open your crit chain with Subtle Stabs, CA, SS, etc.
- After you have opened the Critical chain, and your Aim is on cooldown from earlier, use IFA – GA – Subtle – Provoke – FB – DeS.
- To summarize, Aim rotation: Stealth – CA – IFA – GA – Subtle – Aim – FB – DeS – SS – ET – GA – Subtle – IFA – Provoke – FB – DeS – CA.
- Non Aim rotation: CA/SS – GA – Subtle – IFA – Provoke – FB – DeS – SS/CA – ET – GA – Subtle – IFA – Provoke – FB – DeS – CA.
- *Note: Use IFA before GA/Subtle if your crit chain is open, if it is not open, then use it after GA/Subtle to get a critical (if those still don’t crit, then use CA/SS to open the chain).
- Here’s a video of a sample rotation you can use:
There are the consumables I use on Burglar:
- Not really super important to keep on Red Burg, as usually the Yellow Burg will take care of CJs in group, but you can keep some to help the group out when needed.
This is the Food I use:
Updated as of U29.