Red Line DPS Burglar ‘Quiet Knife’ Build
Table of Contents
Welcome, here you will find a solid Red Burg build for Minas Morgul expansion, tuned for high Single Target DPS, with a nice AoE cleave. Update 25.4 and U26 bought a few nerfs to Burgs, namely to Reveal Weakness, Flashing Blades and Double-edged Strike, but Burgs are still pretty top-end when it comes to reliable burst and sustained overall DPS.
Red Burg has one of the smoothest DPS rotations amongst other LOTRO DPS classes, and it has a pattern which you can easily follow and keep up. Unlike other classes, there are no alternative skills for rotation, there is just 1 rotation and you can reliably use it from the beginning to the end, at least that is what I found. (Although, some of it will change, I will update here later when I test, as just recently Provoke was nerfed to have a longer cooldown, and that might affect the rotation a little bit.)
Red Burg has a guaranteed spot in just about any instance/raid, as they provide a lot more to the group than just DPS. They bring a 2nd Reveal Weakness debuff, which the group can use for secondary targets, they bring a little bit of CC (crowd control), they have CJs (pretty important in Remmorchant), and they are self-sustainable (can take a few big hits without needing help from healer).
*This applies to all levels, from 0 to 130.
Red Burglar’s primary role is DPS, their stat goals should be:
Physical Mastery > Critical Rating > Vitality > Finesse
(These stats are acquired from Essences, Virtues, LIs, etc.)
With Endgame gear and correct placement of Essences, Virtues and so on, Red Burg’s unbuffed stats should be around:
- Physical Mastery at ~800K
- Critical Rating at ~580K
- Finesse at ~200K+
Aim for those 3 stats at that level, so with a Red Captain in group, you’ll be able to cap both, Mastery and Critical. That is the most efficient way to build your Burglar. Some Essence slots might still be available after reaching Mastery and Critical Rating Stat goals, then the remaining slots can be used on Vitality Essences.
* While you are gearing up, remove all Essences from your current Gear, and then slot Essences as per the Stat goals. After you have met the Stat goals, then place the right Virtues (more down on that down below). This way you can plan your setup better, and utilize Essences perfectly, and can dump the remaining Essences in Vitality or other Stat of your choice after meeting Stat goals mentioned above.
Red Burglar did not get a nice set bonus from Remmorchant raid, so, the best way to build the Red Burg is to have the 2-set bonus for 5,000 Agility from all 3 Lines. 2x Red Pieces, 2x Yellow Pieces and 2x Blue pieces, for a total of 15,000 Agility bonus. This gives Red Burg lots of Stats to play with.
If you don’t have any Raid pieces, go for the T1 Armor until you get the Raid set. Use Essences till you meet the Stat Goals, as listed above, 800k Mastery, 580k Critical (Capped Virtues help a lot).
These are my unbuffed stats, by using 2x Red Pieces, 2x Yellow Pieces and 2x Blue pieces. By using this setup, I reach my Stat Goals, and pretty much Cap all my stats when grouped with a Captain, while having a very nice Morale pool. Please note that these stats/morale are high because all my Damage/Red Virtues are capped. If you don’t achieve these stats, replace the Vitality essences (down below) till you reach ~800K Physical Mastery and ~580K Critical rating.
Here is the Armour in detail with Essences:
Here are the Jewels:
- Earrings: Shadowed King T5
- Pocket: Thrang T2
- Necklace, Bracelets and Rings: Amdân Dammul (New WotTP Raid)
Alternatively, you can also use Anvil Armour set for -10% Attack Duration. This is useful for easier content such as 3/6-mans, and T1/T2 difficulty of Remmorchant Raid. I would not advise wearing it on T3+ Raids.
Here are how the Stats look while wearing this Armour:
Special Trigger Essences to use:
You need both of these as a must, you can place them wherever you like. I slot them on Necklace so I can share them between my Alts.
There are currently two way to trait a Red Burglar, one is the usual way and the other is to trait for Enrage while in Red. I don’t find traiting for Enrage very appealing, so I will focus on the usual way for now. Here is how I trait my Burg:
You get everything you need as Red Burg from this Tree (apart from Enrage, which most groups won’t ask you for).
You also need an extra Trait Tree to swap for All-In buff pre-fight, and for that you also will need a Swap Burg Bag LI which contains the All-In legacy. Use this buff around 3-5s before the Fight starts, ask the leader to do a countdown.
These are the virtues I use to reach the Stat Goals. You can play around with these to get the numbers you want, but I would not recommend using any Mits virtues (apart from Fidelity) as you don’t gain much from them. You can swap around, depending on the fight, can swap in more Morale ones in for example, Loyalty for Zeal, it just depends on the fight.
By using these Virtues, I reach my Stat Goals, while still maintaining a good Morale pool.
- Valour (Best DPS virtue for Physical classes)
- Determination (Best DPS virtue for Agility classes)
- Confidence (Best Critical Rating virtue for all classes)
- Loyalty (Great for Morale for all classes)
- Wit (Great for Finesse and Critical) (Usually my number 5 is placeholder, I swap this one a lot depending on the fight)
Red Burglar legacies are generally fine and don’t need a lot of weapon swapping, but I know some Burgs weapon swap for 2 skills (Surprise Strike and Coupe-de-grace), but again that’s optional and you don’t have to bother if you don’t want to, as it’s not a great requirement nor does it boost your DPS by much. Here is my LI setup:
A small note about my Bag, it’s purely for PvE only, and it can be used in either Red or Yellow Line, but it’s not for PvP, I use a different bag for there.
Swap Legendary Items
I use 2 Swap LIs on Burg.
- Yellow – All In bag is used as a swap Pre-Fight for All-In buff.
- PvP bag is used as a swap for Dust in the Eyes debuff.
Here is what I do on Red Burg:
- Start in stealth and behind target always, and as a Burg, you should always strive to be behind targets as much as you can.
- Open your rotation always with Cunning Attack [CA] (from stealth). This will open your Crit Chain (which allows you to use either Gambler’s Advantage [GA] or Double-edged Strike [DeS] )
- You never want to use DeS first, as that skill is an immediate and you want to save that to cut the animation of Flashing Blades [FB].
- So, after you have done CA from stealth, and you have Aim available, hit Improved Feint Attack [IFA].
- After IFA, hit Gambler’s Advantage, then Subtle Stab.
- After Subtle Stab, hit Aim and then FB and then DeS.
- So your rotation should go: Stealth – CA – IFA – GA – Subtle – Aim – FB – DeS
- After your DeS lands, use CA once more, and follow it up with Exposed Throat [ET].
- Sometimes during the rotation, your CA might be on cooldown, so if it is, alternate that with Suprise Strike [SS], and follow that up with ET.
- If you don’t have ET available, it’s fine. Next, try to open your crit chain with Subtle Stabs, CA, SS, etc.
- After you have opened the Critical chain, and your Aim is on cooldown from earlier, use IFA – GA – Subtle – Provoke – FB – DeS.
- To summarize, Aim rotation: Stealth – CA – IFA – GA – Subtle – Aim – FB – DeS – SS – ET – GA – Subtle – IFA – Provoke – FB – DeS – CA.
- Non Aim rotation: CA/SS – GA – Subtle – IFA – Provoke – FB – DeS – SS/CA – ET – GA – Subtle – IFA – Provoke – FB – DeS – CA.
- *Note: Use IFA before GA/Subtle if your crit chain is open, if it is not open, then use it after GA/Subtle to get a critical (if those still don’t crit, then use CA/SS to open the chain).
- Here’s a video of a sample rotation you can use:
There are the consumables I use on Burglar:
- Not really super important to keep on Red Burg, as usually the Yellow Burg will take care of CJs in group, but you can keep some to help the group out when needed.
This is the Food I use:
Updated as of U28.
If you liked my work, you can help support this website for more content.
Help support this website to make it grow!