Red Line DPS Champion Berserker Build
Table of Contents
Welcome, here you will find up-to-date and most current Red Line Champion build for Minas Morgul expansion, tuned for high Single Target DPS. Update 26 bought a 20% buff to Champions, which makes them in the top 3 DPS rankings. With weapon swapping, and fast rotations, you can even be the number 1 DPS in your group!
Red Champion is one of the higher skill-ceiling classes, you have a lot more to do here compared to other DPS classes. There is a lot of fast in-combat weapon swapping for certain skills, and quick DPS rotations, while having a solid awareness of mechanics and where you are standing, as Melee classes have some restrictions in LOTRO.
But if you do all of it well, and with enough practice, Red Champion will trump all, under most situations.
(I see this question asked everywhere for Champions, and I’ll answer it here)
Which type of weapons to use, Dual-wield or Two-handers?
- Use Dual-wield for leveling up, in landscape and generally for Yellow-line / AoE.
- Use Two-hander for certain skills only, such as Brutal Strikes/Ferocious Strikes.
- More explained down below in Rotation section.
*This applies to all levels, from 0 to 130.
Red Champ’s primary role is DPS, their stat goals should be:
Physical Mastery > Critical Rating > Vitality > Finesse
(These stats are acquired from Essences, Virtues, LIs, etc.)
With Endgame gear and correct placement of Essences, Virtues and so on, Red Champ unbuffed stats should be around:
- Physical Mastery at ~800K
- Critical Rating at ~580K
Aim for those 2 stats at that level, so with a Red Captain in group, you’ll be able to cap both, Mastery and Critical. That is the most efficient way to build your Champion. Some Essence slots might still be available after reaching Mastery and Critical Rating Stat goals, then the remaining slots can be used on Vitality Essences.
* While you are gearing up, remove all Essences from your current Gear, and then slot Essences as per the Stat goals. After you have met the Stat goals, then place the right Virtues (more down on that down below). This way you can plan your setup better, and utilize Essences perfectly, and can dump the remaining Essences in Vitality or other Stat of your choice after meeting Stat goals mentioned above.
The new Armour Set from Remmorchant Raid is current Best in Slot (BiS). It is called the ‘Endless Duel’ set. It allows almost a permanent uptime on Champion’s Duel, which is excellent, and it resets its cooldown on a pretty consistent basis. You can use 4 pieces of Endless Duel, and 2 pieces of the Yellow-line set for the extra 5,000 Might. If you don’t have the Yellow-line set, you can use the T1 Armor instead.
If you don’t have any Raid pieces, go for the T1 Armor until you get the Raid set. Use Essences till you meet the Stat Goals, as listed above, 800k Mastery, 580k Critical (Capped Virtues help a lot).
These are my unbuffed stats, by using 4x Champion’s Duel Set and 2x Yellow Line Set for 5K Might bonus. Please note that these stats/morale are high because all my Virtues are capped. If you don’t achieve these stats, replace the Vitality essences (down below) till you reach ~800K Physical Mastery and ~580K Critical rating.
That is my Armour and Essences combination. By using this setup, I reach my Stat Goals, and pretty much Cap all my stats when grouped with a Captain, while having a very nice Morale pool.
Here are the Jewels:
- Earrings: Shadowed King T5
- Pocket: Thrang T2
- Necklace, Bracelets and Rings: Amdân Dammul (New WotTP Raid)
Here are how the Stats look like when fully buffed with Captain and Minstrel:
Special Trigger Essences to use:
You need both of these as a must, you can place them wherever you like. I slot them on Necklace so I can share them between my Alts.
I use 2 different Trait Trees for Red Line, depending on the fight/scenario, or if grouped/solo.
This Tree I use when I am grouped for harder Instances/Raids. This tree is more survival based, as I have traited extra Tactical Mitigation, along with Vitality. I would recommend to use this tree if doing hard content, such as T2 and T3+ Raids.
Next, my second Tree is more DPS based with a nice Cleave (AoE Damage from Yellow), but lesser survival. I use this one for easier content, such as 3-mans and 6-mans.
Use whichever Tree you want, depending on the fight.
These are the virtues I use to reach the Stat Goals. You can play around with these to get the numbers you want, but I would not recommend using any Mits virtues (apart from Fidelity) as you don’t gain much from them. You can swap these around, depending on the fight.
By using these Virtues, I reach my Stat Goals, while still maintaining a good Morale pool.
- Valour (Best DPS virtue for Physical classes)
- Zeal (Best DPS virtue for Might classes)
- Confidence (Best Critical Rating virtue for all classes)
- Loyalty (Best Morale virtue for all classes)
- Fidelity (Great for Tactical Mitigation and some Morale)
Some alternatives if you don’t have some of these virtues:
These are a bit tricky, especially for Champs. To cut a long story short, you need 3 LIs for Red Line. My Dual-wield Swords are shared with Yellow Line also, to keep things simple. But, you need a separate 2-Hander LI just for Red Line, and you need a seperate LI Rune for Red Line also. Here is my setup for Red Line:
These 4 weapons I use, and how, which I will explain in Rotation Section.
Swap Legendary Items
I use 2 Swap LIs on Champ.
- Weapon is used as a swap for the following skills:
- Sprint Duration
- Fear Nothing Cooldown
- Hamstring Duration
- Rune is used as a swap for:
- Ebbing Ire Cooldown (Great skill for Ranged Stuns on Creeps/Mobs, to be used while Sprint Buff is active.)
- Added a Mounted Combat Bridle LI for reference too.
Here is what I do on Red Champ:
- To begin, I would recommend you Hotkey/Keybind your Dual-wield weapons and Two-Hander.
- There are certain skills you want to hit with certain weapons. These are:
- Wild Attack, Devastating Strike, Remorseless Strike, Feral Strikes (Only for corruptions) and Blade-wall, only to be used from Dual-wield.
- Remaining Skills, Ferocious Strikes, Brutal Strikes, Merciful Strike, Swift Strike, only to be used from a Two-Hander.
- Your rotation should always start with pre-buffs, use Controlled Burn and Duel and keep Fervour at max before entering combat.
- Start with Wild Attack to get your 5% crit chance up. If it doesn’t crit, don’t stop, just keep rotation going, use Wild Attack again soon to get that buff up.
- After your buffs are up, use Devastating Strike.
- Now that all your buffs are up, now it’s time to start using spenders. Start with Ferocious-Battle Frenzy-Brutal-Clobber-Swift Strike-Remorseless. These are your spenders.
- When those are on cooldown, keep Wild Attack crit chance up (It lasts for 10s and it helps if you can track it via a plugin)
- Try to also use Brutal Strikes twice every ~10-12s. This will help bridge your rotation gaps. If you still get a gap, use Blade-wall.
- You also want to keep Remorseless Strike on cooldown as much as possible. Your Ferocious/Brutal-Clobber rotation should always be on cooldown. But try to use those 3 Skills after a Devastating Strike, you may have to wait a few seconds for that, so just use Blade-wall to bridge that gap or refresh Wild Attack crit.
- Mostly, Red Champ is all about keeping all your Spenders on cooldown, and managing your buffs simultaneously, this can take some practice but you will eventually get the hang of it.
- Here’s a video of a sample rotation you can use:
There are the consumables I use on Champ:
- Crafted 10s Horn. These are invaluable for Instances/Raids, your group will always ask for these, so keep them with you. (You can only use ones which say ‘Most effective against targets of your level or lower.’)
- Fervour pots. These are great for the instant 5 Fervour and Dev Magnitude for big hits. I typically use them only while I’m heavily buffed or if there is an Oathbreakers on the boss.
This is the Food I use:
Updated as of U28.
If you liked my work, you can help support this website for more content.
Help support this website to make it grow!